Come Work With Us!
We're hiring! We are currently looking for a part-time assistant to be based in our Leesburg, VA studio for the fall season - now through December with potential for growth into a permanent position.
The wldwst studio is home to two female-owned small businesses - Wild Green Yonder, a wedding and event floral design company, and Colleen West, a multi-disciplinary design company specializing in retail store display merchandising, spatial design, and event florals.
The assistant would help both businesses on various in-studio tasks and on-site installations for clients. The ideal person for the role has a positive, upbeat and up-for-anything attitude, is an extremely reliable and responsible self-starter, and a good problem solver. Some experience in a creative field is a plus, but in general curiosity, interest in design, and a willingness to jump in and get your hands dirty are desirable traits.
Here are the details:
- 2 days per week minimum (possibly more), hourly rate, temporary position
- Must have weekday, daytime availability (Wednesdays especially) and occasional weekend availability.
- Reliable transportation is essential. Our studio and many of our job sites are not metro accessible.
- This is an assistant position - not a design role - although there will certainly be opportunities to learn a lot about design! There is also potential for this to grow to include more design responsibilities.
- This is a physical position with a lot of grunt work - must be able to lift up to 40 pounds, be on your feet for long stretches, able to climb ladders/scaffolding, comfortable with power tools (or at least open to learning), and in general open to getting messy!
Duties will include:
- washing buckets, vases, containers, candleholders, etc.
- prepping containers for design work (adding tape grids, chicken wire, flower frogs, foam, etc.)
- organizing hard good inventory (candles, vases, supplies, etc.)
- processing flower shipments (cleaning stems, treating water, general babying of flowers when they arrive at the studio)
- cleaning the work room post events (sweeping, mopping, trash, cleaning tools
- Loading and unloading vehicles
- On site event and retail installation work
- Miscellaneous construction and craft projects (with guidance) - drilling, sawing, painting, etc.
Other duties might include:
- Google searching obscure antique vessels, fabrics, etc. for clients
- Placing online orders for materials
- Picking up flower orders from local farms and the airport
- Gathering material for social media and blog posts
- Participating in pop-up shops, workshops, etc.
- Miscellaneous errands - coffee/lunch runs, Home Depot/Target runs, etc.
- Opportunities for un-paid shadowing of entire process of client management, design process, product ordering, event set-up, etc. Overall lots of learning opportunities are available if you're interested in learning more about floral design, retail/corporate display and spatial design, and running a small business.
- Opportunities for earning additional paid hours for special projects, installations, set-up and breakdown for weekend events.
- Flexible work schedule in a relaxed (fun!) work environment.
If interested, please send us a note letting us know what you might bring to the table, why you’d like to work with us, and your availability to email@example.com